- Bend it Like Beckham nominated for 5 Olivier Awards, the West End musical Bend it like Beckham, for which Howard was composer, winning The Critics’ Circle Award for Best New Musical and The Time Out Readers’ Award for Best West End Musical. Bend it like Beckham also wins the Asian Awards for Best New Musical.
- Doctor of Literature (Education) of the Institute of Education, University College London
- Honorary degree from Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts (UEA)
- Off-West-End (‘Offies’) Award for Best Musical for the Landor Theatre revival of Howard’s musical A Winter’s Tale
- Andrew Keates’ revival of The Hired Man at the Landor Theatre won the Off-West-End Award for Best Musical Production
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the New Year Honours, for Services to Music Education
- Nominated for 3 Olivier Awards, the West End musical Love Story, for which Howard was composer & co-lyricist.
- Off-West-End (‘Offies’) Award for Best Musical Production for Landor Theatre London revival of The Hired Man
- UK Theatre Award for Best Musical Performance, for the Bolton Octagon revival of The Hired Man
- Karl Haas Prize for Music Education, awarded by the Klassix Society–Friends of 88.7KXMS / Fine Arts Radio International of Missouri Southern State University
- MIA/Classic fm Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music Education
- Gramophone Award for Specialist Classical Chart Awards for my CD Enchanted Voices (6 months at the no. 1 position in the Specialist Classical Charts)
- PRIMETIME EMMY© Award (Creative Arts) Outstanding Music Composition for a miniseries, movie or a special (Original Dramatic Score) for HBO’s Into the Storm
- Classical Brits Award for Composer of the Year, for my dance-oratorio Eternal Light: A Requiem
- 28th Annual ASCAP Award for most performed works by British composers in the USA 2007 (for the original score for the film Mr Bean’s Holiday)
- Learning on Screen Video & Broadcast Award for TV series How Music Works
- Honorary Doctorate of Arts from the University of Bolton
- The Royal Televison Society’s Judges’ Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education in Broadcasting.
- The Making Music/Sir Charles Groves Prize for Outstanding Contribution to British Music.
- The Voice of the Listener & Viewer Naomi Sargant Memorial Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education in Broadcasting.
- The British Academy of Composers and Songwriters Gold Badge Award for Exceptional Service in Support of British Composers and Songwriters.
- An Honorary Doctorate in Music from Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln, & The University of Leicester, for Outstanding Services to Music Education.
- BAFTA Award nomination (Huw Weldon Award) for the TV series Howard Goodall’s 20th Century Greats, which Howard wrote & presented
- UK Theatre Award for Best Musical, for the Salisbury Playhouse revival of The Hired Man
- Montreux International TV Festival Rose d’Or Award (Best Arts Documentary) nomination for the TV Series Howard Goodall’s Great Dates
- Howard Goodall’s Great Dates nominated in the Arts category of the Montreux Television Festival
- BAFTA Award nomination (Best Original Music) for Howard’s score for the HBO/BBC film The Gathering Storm
- Indie TV Awards nomination for TV series Howard Goodall’s Great Dates
- Waterford International Festival of Light Opera (Republic of Ireland) First Prize (Best Overall Production) and 6 other awards for the Full Circle Theatre Company’s revival of The Hired Man
From 1996 to 2002
- President and Honorary Professor of the London College of Music, University of West London
- IMZ Vienna TV Award for Best Documentary for the TV series Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs
- Montreux International TV Festival Rose d’Or Award 2001 (Best Arts Documentary) for the TV series Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs
- John Kraaijkamp Musical Awards (Netherlands), four nominations, one win, for Flemish language production & tour of The Hired Man (de Seizoenarbeider’)
- British Television Advertising Craft Award (Best Original Music) for BBC/Timebank commercial Turned Tables (composer)
- PEABODY Award for Journalism & Mass Communication for my Channel 4 TV series Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs, which he wrote and presented.
- International Emmy nomination (Best Arts Documentary) for Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs
- BAFTA Award (Specialist Factual) for the TV series Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs
- Royal Television Society Award (Best Arts Documentary) for the TV series Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs
- Royal Philharmonic Society Music Award (TV & Radio Category) for the TV series Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs.
- The New York Festivals World Medal for International TV Programming’ (1997), for my series Howards Goodall’s Organ Works.
- Ivor Novello Award for Best Musical for The Hired Man, Howard was composer and lyricist.
- Nominated for 4 Olivier Awards, West End Musical The Hired Man