- Bend it Like Beckham is nominated for 5 Olivier Awards and wins the Asian Awards for Best new Musical, the Critic’s Circle Award for Best New Musical and the Time Out Readers’ Award for Best West End Musical.
- Awarded the title and status of Doctor of Literature (Education) of the Institute of Education, University of London
- Awarded an honorary degree from Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts (UEA)
- In February, Andrew Keates’ revival of The Hired Man at the Landor Theatre won the Off-West End Award for Best Musical Production 2012
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the New Year Honours, for Services to Music Education
- The Hired Man Octagon, Bolton production, ensemble, wins TMA Award for Best Performance
- Karl Haas Prize for Music Education, awarded by the Klassix Society–Friends of 88.7KXMS / Fine Arts Radio International of Missouri Southern State University
- MIA/Classic fm Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music Education
- Gramophone Award for Enchanted Voices: Specialist Classical Chart Award
- PRIMETIME EMMY© Award (Creative Arts) Outstanding Music Composition for a miniseries, movie or a special (Original Dramatic Score) for HBO’s Into the Storm
- Classical Brits Composer of the Year for Eternal Light: A Requiem
- Howard is honoured at the 28th Annual ASCAP Awards held in London for his Mr Bean’s Holiday score (most performed works by British composers in the USA 2007)
- How Music Works wins the Learning on Screen Video & Broadcast Award 2008
- Honorary Doctorate of Arts from the University of Bolton
- The Royal Televison Society’s Judges’ Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education in Broadcasting.
- The Making Music/Sir Charles Groves Prize for Outstanding Contribution to British Music.
- The Voice of the Listener & Viewer Naomi Sargant Memorial Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education in Broadcasting.
- The British Academy of Composers and Songwriters Gold Badge Award for Exceptional Service in Support of British Composers and Songwriters.
- An Honorary Doctorate in Music from Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln, & The University of Leicester, for Outstanding Services to Music Education.
- Howard Goodall’s 20th Century Great wins a Royal Television Society Award for Education. It is also nominated for a BAFTA (Huw Weldon Award) and an International Rose d’Or.
- Howard and Melvyn Bragg’s The Hired Man wins the TMA Award for Best Musical 2003-4, honouring the Salisbury Playhouse revival of The Hired Man, in the Autumn of 2003, directed by Joanna Read.
- Howard’s score for the BBC/HBO film The Gathering Storm nominated for a 2003 BAFTA award (Best Original Music), and Howard Goodall’s Great Datesnominated in the Arts category of the Montreux Television Festival and the UK’s Indie TV awards, 2003.
- The Hired Man wins Best Overall Production (First Prize) at the Waterford International Festival of Light Opera in the Republic of Ireland 2001-2. In addition to the highest award, Full Circle Theatre Company’s production of The Hired Man also win Best Stage Director, Best Female Performer, Best Lighting, Best Musical Director, Best Amateur Production and Best Post-war Show.
- In May 2001 the TV series HOWARD GOODALL’S BIG BANGS wins a BAFTA award.
- Howard Goodall’s Big Bangs also wins a prestigious PEABODY Award for Journalism & Mass Communication in the USA, the IMZ Vienna TV Award for Best Documentary (Program 2 ‘Opera’), is nominated for an International Emmy (Best Arts Documentary), a Royal Television Society Award (Best Arts Documentary), a Montreux International TV Festival ‘Rose d’Or’ (Best Arts Documentary) and a Royal Philharmonic Society Music Award (TV & Radio category).
- After completing its triumphant National Ballet of Flanders 2001 tour of Belgium & Holland (in Flemish), The Hired Man (‘de Seizoenarbeider’) also picked up four nominations (and won one) from the ‘John Kraaijkamp Musical Awards’ held in Scheveningen (Holland) on April 20th. The awards gala was broadcast on Dutch TV. The nominations were: Jan Schepens, best actor; Janke Dekker, best actress; Maike Boerdam & Wieneke Remmers, best newcomers.
- In 2001 Howard also won the British Television Advertising Craft Award for Best Original Music for his music for the Timebank/BBC ‘Turned Tables‘ Advertisement.